Friday, November 22, 2013

Sporty Texts. The Only Way To Go These Days

Around the time I started this blog, my best friends and I were out three nights a week doing three things:

1. Boozing
2. Trying to meet women
3. Doing stupid stuff

Even if we usually only accomplished numbers one and three on the list, those were some of the best days of my life and they were the best friends I'll ever have.

Those particular friends have since: 

1. Got married
2. Had kids
3. Moved to the suburbs

I have done zero of those things, which has caused us to not see each other nearly as much, but we still talk just about every day through text messages, usually about sports.  Sometimes a Chicago Bears game will be going on and the four of us will exchange 50 texts, which is pretty much the text rate of most middle school girls in America.  

These conversations are important because with them having babies and being in the burbs and all, it's not like they're out at the bar with me every weekend - so this my only means of staying in touch and remembering how funny these guys are and why they're my best friends.

For example:

James Douglas Morrison knew I was watching the Bulls game on tape when I got home from work, so he said:

JDM: Watch out for a giant boob chick in a Bulls jersey in the crowd who is undoubtably a stripper.  She's right after the lady who looks like the Kool Aid Man and just before the creepy Robert Englund guy with his arm around a kid.  












Now, without JDM, I would have fast forwarded through those crowd shots.  With him, I laughed my ass off at his dead on descriptions of these weirdos, and it's like we were watching the game together.  

How the hell did people stay in touch before text?  Christmas cards?  Phone calls?  Yuck.  I don't want to even think about it.  This is the only way to be friends with anyone.  I'm convinced.

Anyone have people they text with more than anyone else and you make each other laugh out loud all the time?

6 comments:

David Oliver said...

I never text anyone or read the texts I get. Not sure if I'm merely out of touch or just anti-social. Probably both.

James Douglas Morrison said...

Ha, glad to help out buddy.

Mr. Shife said...

I text with all of my old college buddies and we reminisce about lives we used to have as we are now dealing with pre-schools, potty training, Elmo, and all the other fun shit that comes with parenthood. Good times. Have a great weekend, Dr. Ken.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

David: You're pretty social through Blogger though. That's enough. : )

JDM: Sometimes those Bears games we go through some epic texting. Hilarious.

Shifey: Oh yeah. Lots of glory days discussions. It's all we got to hold onto, bro. Rose is hurt!! NOOOOOOOOOO!

Gorilla Bananas said...

Back-and-forth texting can be quite fun, but don't you find it a pain in the butt to type on a mobile phone? I'd rather chat on yahoo using my computer keyboard.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Gorilla: It does blow, but I use the talking function in the car, and it get's 95% of the words right when you speak into it. And it makes driving and texting safer. It's stupid to drive and text at all, but yeah, I do it. Boom!